Ungrouping

See your questions answered, and others can learn those answers too.
Mammo

Ungrouping

Post by Mammo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:08 pm

How do I ungroup? I gave used the Edit ungroup and also the command U and my group is still all together. I want to change the font. Any suggestions?

MacStitch

Re: Ungrouping

Post by MacStitch » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:23 am

I'm not sure what you are asking, but I'll take a guess that you have used the lettering function, saved the file, re-opened it and want to change the font. If that's the case, you'll have to go to your 'working file', not your machine format file. The working file ends with the extension '.be'
The 'be' file should have been saved in the same place as your Viking file with the same file name except for ending in 'be'.
Hope this helps,
Betty

Mammo

Post by Mammo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:09 pm

Betty - Thank goodness you are a mindreader. That is exactly what I want but I cannot get it to work.

Here are the steps I took:
1. I opened the file with the .be extension.
2. Clicked on it, to where the black squares came up with the dashes in between
3. Went to the pull down menu, clicked ungroup
4. went back to my design and it is still all grouped. I can move the whole thing up and down, left, right, whatever....

2. I have closed it out, repeated step 2, without the bold dots and the same thing happens.

I can click inside, hold the left moue down and I get the fine line that I can enlarge to go around the font, but then if I let off the mouse the line goes away. I have also tried to use the fine black line around the lettering, then hit "command U" with my left hand and still nothing works.

I'm sure I am missing a step. Thanks for all your help!

Lori

MacStitch

Post by MacStitch » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:21 am

The lettering function does not ungroup. Color individual letters by clicking on the green square inside it. Change the font by clicking the 'letters' tab on the right panel. You may also adjust color and stitch on that panel. The panel is at the lower right when you have selected your lettering group (with the squares and dashes).
For fonts that you merge in as embroidery files, you do have the ungroup function.

Betty

Mammo

Post by Mammo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:41 am

Yes, I can do that, but I am interested in editing font/color in a working file that I have already made. Does that make sense? For instance, I have an Easter Egg design and under it a have a name (Jane). I want to go in and change the name (Jane) to someone else Brenda). I shouldn't have to re-do the entire design every time, should I?

There is no green dot for me to use in my .BE file, unless I click on the "Create A Lettering Design" at the top right of my screen. It does give the the "ABC" and I know how to edit that, but the name (Jane) is still on my .BE file.

MacStitch

Post by MacStitch » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:10 pm

If your working file was made with the lettering function, you should be able to select the name, click the letters tab on the lower right, and in the text box type a new name. I did a test file and it worked that way. I haven't used the lettering function much. I use my design file fonts and merge them in.
Betty

Mammo

Post by Mammo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:43 pm

ok. That helps. I did that file wrong with the Easter Egg, but I did the Easter Bunny correct. I can edit my font on the bunny. So, I know what to do from now on. Thanks!!

WildOlive

Post by WildOlive » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:55 am

I am having the same problem. I cannot get my working file design to ungroup. I have a file that is a diamond design and lettering all around the outside of the diamond. If I click the + in the objects box it shows it as all one object . I have gone to edit/ungroup and it never works on ANY of my files. Help?

EastWitch2

Post by EastWitch2 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:11 pm

As far as I can see the Group and Ungroup funtions has to do with moving the whole design or being able to move the different objects that make up a design.

When the obects that make up a whole design are Grouped you can move the whole design as one unit to any position within the hoop area.
When ungrouped you can move or reposition each of the different objects that make up the whole design.

Here is an example.
I made a design with 3 objects
I used lettering and made the word Merry.
Then I merged in a design of a Christmas Bunny
Then I used the lettering funtion again and made the word Christmas.

Once I positioned the words and the design I then did a select All under Edit and once the whole design was highlighted I then cl;ciked on The Group functuoin inder Edit Tab and then I hit Center to center the whole design as one unit in the hoop size I was using.

Or onced grouped I could have move the whole design to any position in my hoop area such as all the way to the top or more to the bottom, or more to the right or left and not centered.

Still having the whole designed grouped I saved it as a working file (be) and a stitch file and closed out of the design and out of Essentials.

I re opened Essentials and then opened up my working file (be) of the Merry Christmas Bunny.

In the Objects Pane on the Top Right Side of the Page I can see the 3 objects that make up the design.

If I click on the first obect in the Object Pane which is the Word Merry I can then change the style of Alphabet I used for the word or I could replace the word with another word simply by using the different functions in the Property Pane at the Bottom of the Right Side of the Page.

]In the Property Pane It shows that I used the Block Alphabet to make the word Merry, so I could change the lettering style to a different Alphabet if I want to.
If I want to change the word entirely from Merry to the word Joyous I would simply back out the word Merry and type in the word Joyous.

**But if I want to move the word Merry to a different position in the whole design then I would have to Ungroup the Objects that make up the whole design.
I woul click on Select All under the Edit Tab and once the whole design is high lighted in the working window of Essential I would then click on UNGROUP and then clcik off the highlighted design by clickijng any where other than on the design.

Now I can click back on the word Merry in the working windiow ( left side of the page) and move it to a different position from where i had it originally.
Or I could just click on the Bunny and reposition it or click on the word Christmas and reposition it.

So if you just want to change the lettering for the text in the design you really do not need to use the UnGROUP funtion.
Just click on which object in the Object Pane you want to change and make those changes via the Property Pane.

Hope this helps if not ask more questions.

East Witch

EastWitch2

Post by EastWitch2 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:54 pm

WildOlive wrote:I am having the same problem. I cannot get my working file design to ungroup. I have a file that is a diamond design and lettering all around the outside of the diamond. If I click the + in the objects box it shows it as all one object . I have gone to edit/ungroup and it never works on ANY of my files. Help?
Was the diamond design a seperate stitch file that you merged into Essentials and then made the lettering around the diamond with the lettering function in Essentials?

What changes do you want to make to the design?

Just trying to understand what you are woking with!

You may want to read my new post above on my take of the Grouping Function (posted today) to see if that helps you.
If you need more help post your questions here.

EastWitch2