Can I do this with Essentials?

See your questions answered, and others can learn those answers too.
pixelart

Can I do this with Essentials?

Post by pixelart » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:36 pm

Hi All,

New Essentials user here in need of assistance!
I have a design which I would like to modify and I'm not sure whether what I want to do can be done in Essentials, or whether I would need Enthusiast for this. Or maybe I can't do it in either of these?

The design is a decorated Christmas bauble. The bauble base has shapes cut out where holly leaves will be stitched. However, the red berries and gold swirls are not cut out of the background. Hence they are stitching over the top of the already dense background. How can I cut out the background for the berries and swirls?

If there is a tutorial somewhere, please point me at it!
bauble.png
Can I do this?
bauble.png (168.52 KiB) Viewed 5771 times

CLT3

Re: Can I do this with Essentials?

Post by CLT3 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:45 pm

Download the manual. Page 36, remove hidden stitches.

pixelart

Post by pixelart » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:57 am

Thank you CLT3, I did try that but it didn't do anything, which is why I posted here. I'm probably doing something wrong, so here's the steps I took:
1. Selected the whole design (grouped)
2. Clicked the Remove hidden Stitches button. Nothing seemed to happen (e.g. no dialogue or confirmation), but I continued anyway.
3. Selected 'Save stitch file as', to save under a new name.

When I opened the newly saved stitch file to compare, there was no difference between it and the original.

MacStitch

Post by MacStitch » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:56 am

Go to the preferences screen and check the box next to remove overlaps. The button on the main page just gives you a preview of what removing overlaps will do if it is checked in preferences.
Betty

MacStitch

Post by MacStitch » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:14 am

Also, it's not a good idea to leave the remove hidden stitches checked in preferences. I keep it unchecked until I need it. For instance, if you are doing an applique, the placement and tack down stitches may be removed because they are under the satin finishing stitches.
Betty

EastWitch2

Post by EastWitch2 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:46 pm

MacStitch & Pixelart

I have had this same problem too as I have the remove hidden stiches box checked in Preferences and when I make an overlapped Monogram and then do a save as stitch and working file for the design the hidden stitches are not being removed.

I checked the design in the Sew Simulator and no stitches had been removed from the overlapped monogram.

So I made the same overlapped monogram and used the Remove Hidden Stitch Button on the Essentials tool bar and the hidden stitches were remvoved and Sew Simulator showed me they had been removed.

I tested this several times.

I am running Windows Vista 64 bit.

So this may be a bug in the program since adding the new Enthusiast and DRK programs. :roll:
I didn't have this problem before adding the new programs.

Perhaps this is just a bug in the Windows version of the update!

Pixelart are you running the Windows version of Essentials?
EastWitch2

LisaSewBubbles

Post by LisaSewBubbles » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:24 pm

In Essentials, the Remove Hidden stitches option is for when you combine two or more designs and they overlap. It does NOT work on a single design. This is what Density Repair Kit does. It works on a single design.

I guess if you wanted to select the berries, cut them out and paste them into a new design and save them, then merge them back to the design and put them back on the design you could sort of get the result you are looking for. You'l need to make sure that you put them back into the design "when" they belong because by default they will be put after the design stitches.

In DRK - you would open the design, click the Vac to sweep and save the design and you would be done.

But there is no bug in Essentials -- this is how it works when it comes to removing the underlapping stitches for merged designs. Adding lettering to a design is like merging a design so this is why the stitches are removed as in the 4th of July sample in the tips and tricks section.

Hope this helps.
If you have further questions, please use the Contact Us link at the top of this page to submit your questions to customer support.

Lisa

http://www.Sew-bubbles.com - check out my Blog for how to vidoes, projects and more!

EastWitch2

Post by EastWitch2 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:24 pm

Hi Lisa!

The overlapped Monograms I made using the Create Letters function in Essentials where made with 2 letters from a Jolson Alphabet (bx files).
And as I said I had the remove stitches set in Preferences and when saved the hidden stitches were not removed.

The second time when I used the same lettering and had the remove stitches set in Preferences but click the Remove Stitches button on the Tool Bar and then saved the design the program removed the hidden stitches.

Before adding the 2 new programs I could set the Remove Stitches in Preferences and make the overlapped 2 letter monograms and when saved the hidden stitches where removed.

So am I doing something wrong or is it the updated program?

EastWitch2

LisaSewBubbles

Post by LisaSewBubbles » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:26 am

You have to remember that a BX file contains stitch files. All we have done is created an easy way for you to merge designs. The software does not see any difference between you using the letters that are placed on the screen using the Lettering function vs using the Merge Stitch file function.

Just to clarify - the Hidden Stitches button on the menu bar doesn't do anything to the design on the screen. All it does is create a preview of what the stitch file is going to look like. The BE file will always contain the complete original design so if you over lap designs, then decide at a later date that you want them overlapped more or in a different spot, you open the BE file and move the designs - there are no holes for you to contend with and fix!

If your software is doing something different, please fill out a support request from the Contact Us page. We can't investigate and trouble shoot stuff here or on Facebook (for those of you on Facebook that keep posting your tech support questions there). We answer EVERY SINGLE message that is sent to us via the Contact Us page. In fact if you ever want to see our responses to your messages in the past, you can do so by clicking on Contact Us and then on the link in the first paragraph that says click here if you already contact support! Use your email address and any of the support ticket numbers you've gotten from us and log in to see all of the past correspondence! You can send us pictures and files and whatever else you need to help explain the problem to us. Since all support questions are logged into the system via this method and we can quickly see who has been answered, who still needs help etc this is why it is MUCH BETTER AND FASTER to get an answer from tech support using this system. We do monitor the User's Forum and that is a great place to talk to each other with question tips and tricks. But if you really need to talk to a tech support person, the Contact Us link is the way to go.

Sorry for the long message :-) But since the User's Forum is also searchable - I thought that maybe someone might find this information helpful in the future! Happy holidays!!
If you have further questions, please use the Contact Us link at the top of this page to submit your questions to customer support.

Lisa

http://www.Sew-bubbles.com - check out my Blog for how to vidoes, projects and more!

pixelart

Post by pixelart » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:08 pm

As a learning experiment, I decided to try Lisa's idea of splitting the design into separate files and then merging them back together again. This did work to a certain extent, in that it made some of the base areas less dense. Oddly, a few stitches seemed to be added where they had not previously existed (most evident is the horizontal line of stitches across left most holly leaf cut-out).
before-after-bauble.png
before-after-bauble.png (241.47 KiB) Viewed 5705 times
Being new to this software, I was expecting 'Remove hidden stitches' to do exactly that, leaving a well defined 'cut out' area similar to the holly leaf cutouts in the original design.
I now have learned that this feature actually only removes 'some', rather than 'all' hidden stitches. As I haven't stitched the out the original design, I can't say whether or not the final result is an improvement on the original :)