Can I do this with Essentials?

See your questions answered, and others can learn those answers too.
LisaSewBubbles

Re: Can I do this with Essentials?

Post by LisaSewBubbles » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Hello Pixelart,

The remove hidden stitches is not a cutting tool/function. Its purpose is to make sure you don't get lumps and bumps and super dense stitching areas when you combine embroidery designs. It looks like you added the holly leaves back in as well, is that correct? I'm not sure why you wanted to remove more stitches under the holly leaves since they were cut out already.

Software is just a tool - it has zero cognitive artistic ability and although we try to provide it with "logic" to make decisions (like removing stitches in overlapped designs) it will simply do what it is told. The goal of the "removing hidden stitches" is to remove whatever is being overlapped - clean up the stuff underneath the design that is going to be shown - so that the resulting stitch out does not have these super dense areas where two designs are overlapped. This is one of the functions of Essentials. The suggestion of creating new designs of the top colors and merging them back together was an idea that would lighten up the design and again it was an idea. Something that "might work" as a work around. In looking closely at the original design, it could be that the digitizer was going for a certain look - to have those swirls and berries appear to be on top of the glass ornament to give it dimension -- and to have the holly leaves recessed so that they also had a layered look. I also don't know about what the underlay looks like - and this is taken into consideration when "hidden stitches" are removed as well. Because this is an automatic Essential function, it is not going to alter the design in such a way that it will not stitch as the original is intended. This is why "chopping holes in designs" is not part of Essentials - it is an artistic and advanced editing function.

If you wanted to create holes in the design, you would want to use a program that has stitch editing properties like Enthusiast. This program can be added to Essentials and has the ability to use Stitch Editing to "cut" a hole in a design. Cutting holes is an advanced editing technique which is why it is part of Enthusiast.

Hope this helps!
If you have further questions, please use the Contact Us link at the top of this page to submit your questions to customer support.

Lisa

http://www.Sew-bubbles.com - check out my Blog for how to vidoes, projects and more!

pixelart

Re: Can I do this with Essentials?

Post by pixelart » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:35 pm

It looks like you added the holly leaves back in as well, is that correct? I'm not sure why you wanted to remove more stitches under the holly leaves since they were cut out already.
No, that's what is odd. I didn't add the holly leaves back in at all. The holly leaves were already cut out by the embroidery designer. I did bring them back in to the final project, but the pictures I've posted here were after running the 'remove hidden stitches' and before adding the holly leaves back in.

My original question was
How can I cut out the background for the berries and swirls?
. I also wrote
I'm not sure whether what I want to do can be done in Essentials, or whether I would need Enthusiast for this
I now know that I need to add in Enthusiast to achieve the more ambitious things I want to do. :) Not to worry, as I said, I'm new to Embrilliance software and this has all been part of my learning curve.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.