Essentials vs. Alpha Tricks

See your questions answered, and others can learn those answers too.
BrooklynDoll

Essentials vs. Alpha Tricks

Post by BrooklynDoll » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:57 pm

I'm new to embroidery and I would like to start with Essentials or Alpha Tricks right now - don't want to get both yet.
I'm a little confused as to what I won't be able to do using Essentials that I would be able to do with Alpha Tricks and vice versa.
I've been reading through the product descriptions, but sorry - I'm not clear on that.
Can you help me?
Best regards,
Carol

MacStitch

Re: Essentials vs. Alpha Tricks

Post by MacStitch » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:28 pm

Essentials is an editing program. It lets you merge designs, resize, add text, print templates, plus so much more. It has 12 built in fonts that you can resize and manipulate, such as make circular, assign different overall shapes, etc.
AlphaTricks lets you import your own fonts and use them much like the built in fonts. The standalone AlphaTricks also let's you merge an embroidery design, but it doesn't have the editing capabilities of Essentials. If I had to choose only one program, it would be Essentials. The stand alone program works for those who already have another editing program. I have Essentials, AlphaTricks, and Enthusiast, but I used Essentials alone for quite awhile.
With Essentials, you can still use your purchased fonts. You just won't be able to 'type' them in. You can merge them or simply drag the letters into the program and then arrange and recolor them as you wish. You can also resize them.
Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask more questions. I am limited on the stand alone version of AlphaTricks because I do not have it. My best suggestion is to download the program and use it in demo mode. Just run the program without putting in a serial number and you can try out AlphaTricks alone, Essentials alone, or a combination - as well as I can recall.
Betty

BrooklynDoll

Re: Essentials vs. Alpha Tricks

Post by BrooklynDoll » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:00 pm

Hi Betty,
Thank you so much. You answered my question completely. I can see the benefit of having Alpha Tricks eventually so you can see how your words will look if you keep changing the font of typed text, which you can't do with Essentials. I like your advice. I'm going to try them alone and probably end up buying Essentials "first"! I'm sure I'll eventually end up getting just what you did.
Best regards,
Carol
:)