Resizing Designs - lettering in particular

Get the most out of your software! Here we'll try to add useful tips regarding Essentials features.
LisaSewBubbles

Resizing Designs - lettering in particular

Post by LisaSewBubbles » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:10 pm

'm writing this here because of a couple of posts I've been seeing on other groups about shrinking fonts. Resizing has LOTS to do with the original design and it is really obvious with lettering because they are satin stitches. The resizing on most machines is recommended to be limited to 20% because they do not have stitch processing software (design dimension is adjusted but the # of stitches remains the same). Some may adjust the number of stitches when resizing, but I have little experience with on board editing at the machine because I would much rather do all my customizing in software, on a big monitor, with a mouse, and a FAST computer.

Essentials includes a TOP NOTCH stitch processor for resizing embroidery designs up or down. But YOU are smarter than the software. Software lets you do anything you want - this does not ensure that what you want to do is a good idea. You control the software so you need to do some investigating and see if what you are trying to do makes sense.

For example, changing the size of lettering. The reason most digitizers offer their designs in various sizes is because they adjust things like pull compensation and underlay for the various sizes. Otherwise, they would offer a single size font and say "have at it in your software"
CA both.png
CA both.png (203.63 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
Check out the Charming Font from Creative Appliques- love this font. https://creativeappliques.com/shop/char ... abet-font/
CA small.png
CA small.png (176.07 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
She makes it available in a few sizes from 3/4" to 2" and there is a reason for that. When you turn off the 3D and zoom in you can see the smallest size has simple underlay - its small and stitches nice and flat at this smaller size. The other is BIG - lots of strong stitches going on here pulling on both sides of the column - if you got a flashback to kids playing tug of war - hell yeah that is what is going on! And you can see in the larger one that in order to make sure that the stitches have something to hold onto, she has multiple rows of running stitches AND a zigzag framework - these act like rebar does for concrete - if they weren't there you'd have one big old puckered mess.
CA large.png
CA large.png (183.52 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
So, if I were to resize these, I would feel comfortable making the smaller size smaller and the largest size larger - WITHIN REASON!! I would still do a test sew - I will never say you don't need to do a test sew until I stop seeing photos of wonky mangled designs saying "why is my machine doing this?" :-) And I am not picking on the newbies with that comment! Been there done that have the t-shirt - probably have more t-shirts learning the hard way than most! I'm saying that many times after seeing the actual design file, the problem was that the original design was resized and a test sew was not done.

Do I always do a test sew? No - but I've been looking at designs as stitch files in software for over 20 years and have been studying what the electronic file looks like and comparing it to the actual stitched file. I love cause and effect - that is my thing. If I'm kind of "iffy" as to what I'm looking at, yes I will do a test sew OR take a chance and accept that I may be surprised and end up with an unexpected test sew.

Software is not magical. It is a hammer and it does its job under YOUR direction.
If you have further questions, please use the Contact Us link at the top of this page to submit your questions to customer support.

Lisa

http://www.Sew-bubbles.com - check out my Blog for how to vidoes, projects and more!