Anyone using Snap Hoop?

Things that are not related specifically to Embrilliance can go here. Discussions about free designs, machine issues and other things, not related to embroidery software.
Forum rules
Discussion of machines and free design downloads allowed. No embroidery software, please, other than Embrilliance, but those topics should be kept in the proper forum.
KLReeves

Anyone using Snap Hoop?

Post by KLReeves » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:23 pm

Is anyone using the magnetic snap hoops? I got one for Christmas, and I'm having some trouble with slippage. The instructions say not to use anything too thick, but is it possible to use too lightweight a fabric and stabilizer? The designs I've tried so far aren't particularly dense, so I'm not sure what else might be causing the problem.

I did have a little better luck with a fusible type stabilizer, which made for a firmer hand to the fabric, which makes me think some things might be too thin. I'm still fairly new to machine embroidery, so I'd really appreciate any words of advice anyone can offer.

Thanks,
Kate

GrandmaK

Re: Anyone using Snap Hoop?

Post by GrandmaK » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:15 pm

I have had a similar problem. Went to a seminar with the hoop inventor and she said that binder clips could be used to help hold thinner fabrics in place. Appliqué was really hard as the hoop would move when I took it off the machine to trim.
The binder clips helped that problem. Just finished a quilt sandwich table runner with no trouble. Thicker or stiffer fabrics seem to work better.

Kathy

KLReeves

Post by KLReeves » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Thanks, Kathy. I'd already thought of using binder clips, but one of them got caught during a move to the top of the hoop and threw the unit out of alignment, so I was looking for another idea. What did she say about placement of them?

I was thinking of trying to find something really thin that could be adhered to the metal hoop that might provide a little traction.

I agree, I've had better luck with poplin and a thicker stabilizer than batiste, but after doing some reading, I'm going to try some heavier stabilizers and see what happens with that. I'm glad it's not just me, though.

okeeg8tor

Post by okeeg8tor » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:34 pm

Has anyone figured out solutions. I just ordered these hoops and I'm starting to wonder if I would have been better off ordering the fast frames for half the price :(

KimG

Post by KimG » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:14 am

I have 2 Snap Hoop Monster hoops that I love. I used the 7 X12 Snap hoop Monster to embroider 20 Color Guard jackets with no problem. Snap hoop Monster has super strength magnets which hold the fabric tighter than the regular Snap Hoop. If you already have the Snap Hoop and want to upgrade to the Monster, they sell the Snap Hoop Monster top only that replaces the magnetic snap hoop top. It is less expensive than buying a whole new Snap hoop Monster. If you google Snap Hoop Monster Top Only you can find sellers for this. My Snap Hoop Monster hoops are the best investment that I made for my embroidery. It has saved me hours of hooping frustration. Hope this helps.

Jolan Dallatore

Post by Jolan Dallatore » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:40 pm

I also had a problem with slipping, no matter what fabric or stabilizer I used. I contacted DIME and they sent me extra magnets. I still have issues at times with it, but if I'm not doing anything which requires removing the frame from the machine it usually is ok. The monster hoop is less problematic.

Pastergirl3

Post by Pastergirl3 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:01 pm

The large hoop is great.....the smaller one must have less magnets because it is not very good. I find I can easily pull the fabric back out after hooping it. With super monster magnets you should not be able to do that. I feel like I wasted my money on the smaller hoop.