Creating appliques with satin stitches

Things you discover along the way.
melaniemillett

Creating appliques with satin stitches

Post by melaniemillett » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:00 am

I have bought Thumbnailer, Enthusiast, Essentials, Density Repair kit, and StitchArtist. I am new to digitizing and I am trying to create applique designs. I have a couple of questions.

First, when I have 2 or more fabrics that meet, I have the applique satin stitch on the underneath part(sometimes things are meeting at an angle). So then I put the satin stitch layer on the piece that is on top. I have some satin stitches from the underneath piece that I need to remove or just angle the way they meet up, so I don't have a lot of bulk with the stitches. I have tried using the vacuum, with no success. I have tried the scissors. I have tried going in to remove stitches, but it selects both layers. I really just need the stitches to sometimes angle so they meet up right, or completely delete some.

My second question is this. When turning a corner I usually want my satin stitches to angle and form a "v" as it turns the corner. A lot of times I am getting an overlapping look instead. I have been successful with moving nodes sometimes to get the "v" look, but not always. What am I doing wrong?

I am having so much fun with the software! I hope someone can help me with these few questions!

Melanie

EastWitch2

Re: Creating appliques with satin stitches

Post by EastWitch2 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:51 am

Hi Melanie!

This video should help you with the removal of some of the stitches of an Applique that is underneath another Applique so you don't have the bulk of excess stitches stitching on top of each other.
Make sure you use the Save Stitch File As option when saving the design so the removal of the stitches occur for the saved Stitching file which is your machine stitch file such as pes, or vip , or hus, etc..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQC6JmhE_sU

You can check to make sure you have the Remove Overlaps When Saving Stitch Files feature turned on you can go to your Edit tab at the top and click on it and then click on Preferences.
Then click on Files in the left Index when on the Preference page.

Then make sure that the Remove overlaps when saving stitch files is checked so it is turned on.

If you watch this next Video where Brian is showing how to do an applique using the Draw with Points option for the Applique Sunbonnet Sue design you will see what he does to get a straight point or V shape when he is doing the Sleeve of the Sunbonnet Dress using the shift key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiMOb-ngSyM

I hope this helps you!
If you need more help please feel free to post more questions.
EastWitch

melaniemillett

Post by melaniemillett » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:19 pm

Thanks so much! I will go in and give it a try!!!

melaniemillett

Post by melaniemillett » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:37 pm

East Witch,

Here is another problem I am running into. I am working on designs that have several tack down pieces, so I'm not using the applique button, which I found gives you the placement and tackdown stitches too. I want to run all my placement and tack downs before I am doing any satin stitches on each piece. So I have created my own layers for each piece. It would be much easier if I could use the applique button instead, but I haven't seen where you can separate out the placements and tackdowns for each piece of the design. Any suggestions? I am all ears!!!

Melanie

EastWitch2

Post by EastWitch2 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:26 pm

melaniemillett wrote:East Witch,

Here is another problem I am running into. I am working on designs that have several tack down pieces, so I'm not using the applique button, which I found gives you the placement and tackdown stitches too. I want to run all my placement and tack downs before I am doing any satin stitches on each piece. So I have created my own layers for each piece. It would be much easier if I could use the applique button instead, but I haven't seen where you can separate out the placements and tackdowns for each piece of the design. Any suggestions? I am all ears!!!

Melanie
Melanie
I think I can help you with this so please answer the question below.
Will some or all of your tack down pieces be overlapping each other?

EastWitch2

melaniemillett

Post by melaniemillett » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:51 pm

Dear EastWitch 2,

You are wonderful and would really appreciate any help you can give me. Yes, on most of the designs, all the pieces are touching. I don't want the fabric overlaying each other, so I am digitizing around each shape individually. For example. I have a little duck with a body piece, head piece, beak, and then a sailor hat with a ribbon tie hanging off the back, so the hat is in 3 pieces. Everywhere that the separate pieces meet up, I am trying to not have satin stitches underneath causing a lot of bulk. Straight edges are pretty easy to deal with, but when they come in on an angle it is harder. I hope you have a magical answer for me!!!

Thanks so much,
Melanie

EastWitch2

Post by EastWitch2 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:40 pm

Hi Melanie!

I can't post pictures in the section so I have made 3 posts in the Stitch Artist Share Your Inspirational Section showing how to remove the overlapped stitches and how to Color Sort multiple Appliques.
Here are the links to my 3 posts.

Read the post in the order I list them below so it makes sense.

http://embrilliance.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... =32&t=1336

http://embrilliance.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... =32&t=1337

http://embrilliance.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... =32&t=1338

EastWitch2

melaniemillett

Post by melaniemillett » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:19 am

Hi again.

First let me apologize for being a bit insane tonight. I have had nothing but problems the past couple of days. And I feel like such a pest! But I really need some help.

I watched your videos and printed and read through all the things you sent. But here is the issue. I am NOT overlapping my applique pieces. I have designed drawings for several embroidery companies. Their designs DON'T overlap each other, and I don't want mine to either. There will be dark fabrics under lighter fabrics that will show through. I want them to meet up, but not overlap.

Anyway, from what you showed me the only way to erase the stitches is if I overlap my pieces. I tried just meeting them up and they wouldn't erase. When I overlapped them, it worked like magic! But again, that won't work on my designs.

I also own Sew What Pro. They have a feature that will let me erase just the few satin stitches that I need to, to angle the end that is underlying an adjoining satin stitch. I have done that , but now I am having all sorts of problems. For example, my steps will be mixed up a bit or even missing. Why would this happen?

I also have a design that I have redigitized over and over again. I totally redid it tonight so it was brand new and not messed with over and over. I have 5 placement pieces I have grouped that I sew down first. Then I have the tack down steps for those pieces next. No matter what I do, they show in the working file, but on the stitch file one of the pieces is missing! I am about to go crazy.

I hope you have a magical answer for me! I can send you the working file and the stitch file for you to look at if it would help you see what I am trying to describe. Again, thanks so much for any help you can give me!

Melanie