Design Splitting Function

Like the name says.
Lynnda

Design Splitting Function

Post by Lynnda » Sat May 28, 2011 7:08 pm

I saw a post under the "Other Embroidery Software Requests", but was unable to post a response. I think a response is so important that I am re-adding the topic here.

I would LOVE to see a design splitting function added and it is one of the PRIMARY functions I really need in an editing program. In fact, design splitting is so important to me that if I had had a choice between an editing program that has splitting functions and Essentials that does not... I would have chosen the other program. Unfortunately, there is no mac program that offers design splitting. Please don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with Essentials and it is a wonderful editing program. However, design splitting is the one missing feature that I am most disappointed about since in most PC programs, "full feature" includes the ability to split designs. I had really hoped that Essentials would have this feature also. Since there is no mac program that can split designs, it seems this would be even more important to add.

My machine is limited to a 4x4 hoop size and very limited on the designs I can use. Since the majority of machines have 5x7 capability, and newer machines are offering larger and larger design capability, I see small hoop size designs becoming a thing of the past and it is a concern. I would love to get a new machine, but in today's economy, that is out of the question. My only hope in using many of the new designs is to have the ability to split them. A resizing function can only go so far, there is no way you will ever resize 10x6 (or even many 5x7) designs to fit a 4x4 hoop. These designs CAN be split into smaller parts, however, and can be stitched out consecutively to form the large design. Design splitting also allows you to join designs into a pattern you want for a project, and then split it into small parts to be stitched out how you designed it.

I see in your response that you mention the ability to split a design apart by region in the editing program. I am confused on this and not sure what this means. Can you please clarify this for me, and explain how this function is used? I was unable to find anything about it in the manual.

Thanks, Lynnda

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Design Splitting Function

Post by Admin » Sun May 29, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi, Lynnda,
I am glad to see such a passionate request. Hey, the rest of you, this is exactly the kind of feedback we like, so we can plan what's coming for you next.
Don't worry, more features are under development for Embrilliance products which always run on Mac too.

Back to splitting vs. Essentials...
Splitting is not 'Essential for every embroiderer' and is certainly not something for the new embroiderer to attempt, thus it is not included, quite deliberately, in Essentials. If you are looking for your first bit of software for embroidery, design splitting and editing programs are a very difficult way to begin. As a counterpoint, everyone does lettering. We make that easy with Essentials, which uses keyboard fonts that are also adjustable; generating stitches on the fly and offering many options for stitch style, underlay, pull comp, etc.

Also, please don't discount that there are business reasons for doing Essentials first: The features in Essentials cover the widest audience and that is necessary to tell us how big the market is, particularly Mac, which is still very small, but we see it growing daily.

However, splitting is certainly a useful function, and there is no doubt about it. Some 7 or 8 years ago I invented an automated splitting process and patented it. We released that product as Designer's Gallery HoopWorks. Without sharing any numbers, I can tell you that multiple-hoop-splitting hasn't been that popular these last few years (And multi-position hoops - from any brand - aren't big sellers either), execpt there has been a renewed interest because of the Jumbo Frame now available for the Baby Lock and Brother 10 needle machines, which has an almost 14" (350mm) field. Thus, we have begun discussions with Designer's Gallery to bring that feature to Embrilliance.

So far they are agreeable, to their credit and generosity. My intention is directly what you're likely to want; to provide automated splitting for the standard hoop sizes, at least in some normal-user sense. But multi-column-multi-row splits, i.e. "tiled" designs may (or not) have to come later. However your average 5 x 7 can usually be resized to 4 x 6 and then it can be split. This allows the million or so owners of 4" machines to use standard multi-position hoops, which makes alignment super-easy. And don't forget that 4" machines are still being made, and most hat or left-chest shirt designs are always going to be 4" or smaller, so digitizers have not given up that market. Ask your favorite companies - they'll tell you - 4" designs are "Not Dead Yet."

As far as splitting like you would see in 4D or Embird, which is a manual process, that requires a set of functions called 'Stitch Editing'. We currently have most of that in hand including add/remove/move/cut/split/freehand and rectangle select, but have not decided how to release it to you. Plus it needs some finishing up. It has been fast-tracked, but since my request for opinion on that topic, a whopping 2 people have made commentary publicly and not one person in private. So it seems like it is not a priority after all. Nevertheless, we'll finish it and see what we can do with it.

You may be interested to know that the form of editing most users actually do IS included in Essentials; that is splitting by the removal of a continuous section of stitches. Within Essentials, you can insert color stops, which allows continuous-sewing segments to be separated wherever you like. Those segments can be deleted, resequenced, split further into more color breaks, moved and even resized. So most people who want to 'cut something off' a design have that feature now. We released this mechanism with Designer's Galery ColorWorks about 10 years ago and it has consistently been used, generating a large amount of happiness, which we hear about all the time.

For everyone's information, Digitizing is the only feature we get requests for more than writing cards, then comes splitting.
So the current request count is: Digitizing > 100, Card writing = 20, Splitting = 2, Stitch Editing = 1.

We intend to get splitting/editing out soon, followed by a basic digitizing product. Then we'll see what users want from there.
What you haven't seen yet is that all the functionality fits nicely into one program; the same one you use the Essentials with. So the learning curve will be short.

And for those few who read this, the digitizer was recently used in-house to create new font packs for one of our other products, so yes, it really is coming. :D
-b

Embroidery software and designs for Mac and Windows.
"Embroidery for the Rest Of Us!"

Lynnda

Post by Lynnda » Mon May 30, 2011 11:59 pm

Thank you for the response and this exciting news. Will the digitizing program include turning pictures (ie jpg.) into designs?

Lynnda

SewingSylph

Post by SewingSylph » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:04 pm

To add to your tally, I'm interested in all the items you discussed!

I'm also on a 4" machine and while I have a large multi-position hoop, that doesn't help with a large pattern that really needs to be split. (And some patterns simply lose detail or become dense bringing it down to a 4x4.)

Digitizing photographs would be absolutely lovely, but any functionality will be very welcome.

Are your other products for Macs? If so, are there any advantages to getting those rather than waiting for things to be released under Embrilliance or related line extensions?

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:52 pm

Hi,
The Embrilliance brand is dedicated to run on both Mac and PC in every product. So, some people think of it as a Mac brand, however we really are about 50%/50%.
We are incorporating splitting and editing into a product which should be available this summer, and the ABC digitizer is not too far behind.
We'll probably run some extensive beta testing on those before we ask you to purchase them, so we'll know that you're happy.
-b

Mrskiki

Post by Mrskiki » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:38 pm

I too am interested in easy splitting of designs as talked about here: "As far as splitting like you would see in 4D or Embird, which is a manual process, that requires a set of functions called 'Stitch Editing'. We currently have most of that in hand including add/remove/move/cut/split/freehand and rectangle select, but have not decided how to release it to you. Plus it needs some finishing up. It has been fast-tracked, but since my request for opinion on that topic, a whopping 2 people have made commentary publicly and not one person in private. So it seems like it is not a priority after all. Nevertheless, we'll finish it and see what we can do with it." I love what I have done with Embrilliance so far, with this being my biggest need. Another want would be to be able to open ConvertIt right from Embrilliance, or am I missing something?! Thanks. Nan Weber

Erin1410

Post by Erin1410 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:53 pm

I'd like to add a huge vote for splitting functionality! There are a ton of posts on the forums I use on Facebook requesting the same thing for Macs. I have a PE770, which only goes to 5x7 hoop size. I bought a 5x12 hoop. Now I need a splitter! My kids' names are too long to use 2" letters in my current hoop. I am brand new to embroidery, so I'd put this in the "essentials" list.

You mentioned it coming out this summer. Any update?

barta02

Post by barta02 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:22 am

I would really like to see the the splitting function added to Embrilliance. It is disappointing to know that I have a large hoop that can't be used at all right now.

Erin1410

Post by Erin1410 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:26 pm

Me, too! Still waiting for the forum admin to reply with an ETA on that functionality...

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:14 pm

We're working on the Mac version now. The windows version is complete. These things take some time, sorry. I'd like to say we'll have something in October though, even though it's the 12th as I write this.
-b