Creating a Thread Palette

Get the most out of your software! Here we'll try to add useful tips regarding Essentials features.
LisaSewBubbles

Creating a Thread Palette

Post by LisaSewBubbles » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:56 pm

Creating a thread palette is an easy way to make sure that you use the same colors when stitching designs for a particular project. For example, I would like to create some embroidered kitchen towels for my sister in law. Since they will be in the same southwest theme as the breakfast bar mats and potholders I embroidered last year, even if the designs are different, it is nice to stay with the same color palette. Or at least start with the same palette and maybe add to it as the designs warrant.

In Essentials you can easily do this by opening the design you want to take the thread colors from.

Go to the Utility menu and choose Threads and click on the New palette button to name it something that makes sense to you!

Click on the Import threads button and since we are taking them from an existing design that is open, choose Palette and Current page. You can then Select All and click OK to add them to your empty palette which you can then save!
ESS Thread palette.jpg
ESS Thread palette.jpg (230.23 KiB) Viewed 8038 times
Now when you open a new design that you want to use these colors for, you can choose it from the pulldown list and the program will try to match the colors correctly for you. Just remember - if a design has blue in it, but your palette does not, it will try to match it to something close. Most of the time I find it does a decent job of reading my mind... just remember that computers are not artistic or creative - they pretty much do what they are told :-)
If you have further questions, please use the Contact Us link at the top of this page to submit your questions to customer support.

Lisa

http://www.Sew-bubbles.com - check out my Blog for how to vidoes, projects and more!

barbsbees

Re: Creating a Thread Palette

Post by barbsbees » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:37 pm

Question here. Can I make my own palete using the different threads that I have even if they are from different companies? If so, how?
Thanks

EastWitch2

Post by EastWitch2 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:34 pm

Sept. 07,2013

Hi barbsbees!

Are you talking about making a color palette from different Brands of thread that are not included in the Essentials Thread Palette list?

I don't think there is any option to import another Brand of thread into Essentials to do this.
The only way a thread Brand is added to the program is by requesting to have it added to the program and then it would be included in an updated version.

Of are you talking about making a thread palette from a design that you put together in Essentials that has different Brands of Thread and the Brands are included in the Essentials Thread Palette list?

Lisa's example shows that her thread colors for her project were all from Marathon Poly Thread Brand which is a Brand of thread listed in the Essentials Thread Palette list.

But if her design had been made up of several stitch files and the thread colors were from 2 different Brands of Thread or she had picked colors from 2 different Thread Brands for her design for example Marathon Poly and BFC-Polyy I think it still would be possible to save the colors to a new thread palette if you wanted to use the same colors again for another project.
Both Brands are listed in the Essentials Thread Palette List so I don't see that there would be a problem.

Experiment and see if it works.
If it does let us know! LOL

EastWitch2

LisaSewBubbles

Post by LisaSewBubbles » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Yes! You can create a thread palette that contains different brands of thread....so you can actually create your thread stash in the program!
If you have further questions, please use the Contact Us link at the top of this page to submit your questions to customer support.

Lisa

http://www.Sew-bubbles.com - check out my Blog for how to vidoes, projects and more!

EastWitch2

Post by EastWitch2 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:43 pm

Hi Lisa!

Could you explain more on how to create ones own Thread Palette in Essentials?
Are we restricted to the Brands of Thread within Essentials to create this palette or can the palette be made from Brands of thread not included in the program?
Inquiring Minds want to know how! :lol:

EastWitch2

LisaSewBubbles

Post by LisaSewBubbles » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:39 pm

If you have more than one brand in your palette, repeat the process for each brand to add them to your palette.

Yes the brands must be in Essentials. As you have seen, we have recently added new ones in the latest update.

Hope this helps!

Lisa

EastWitch2

Post by EastWitch2 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi Lisa!

When you say if you have more than one Brand in your palette are you referring to the thread palette of a design you have open in Essentials working window?
I did experiment with a design that used more than 1 brand of thread and yes I can easily make a thread palette from it and save it as a thread palette to refer to later.

Is there a way to just make a thread palette of all the colors of each Brand of thread you may have in your stash that are within Essentials with out having a design open?

I am wondering if that is what Barbsbees was really asking in her post.

EastWitch2

LisaSewBubbles

Post by LisaSewBubbles » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:46 pm

It doesn't matter if you have a design open or not! Please don't be afraid to click and try things out!!

Yes....instead of using the palette, choose threads and you get access to all the thread families in the program.

Select Import Thread... you can choose from either threads or palettes and repeat the steps to add new threads to your palette.

Hope this makes sense!

Lisa

sandicu1969

Post by sandicu1969 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:45 pm

Regarding importing colors from companies not included in Essentials I did read that IF you have *Essentials+Enthusiast* or *StitchArtist* you can actually create colors. Here is a tutorial I found:
http://embrilliance.com/Help/Platform%2 ... lettes.htm

Again you must have either Stitch Artist OR Essentials and Enthusiast for this option to show up. "These products add the ability to create your own colors and add them to thread lines and palettes." it says.
It also says, "The color grabber tool will let you click in any window and pick up whatever color is under the cursor. This is very useful when you are building a thread palette from a document such as a .pdf or a thread manufacturer’s webpage. If you want to adjust the color visually, use the HSV (Hue, Saturation, Value) sliders until you get a color that you like."
Pretty cool eh?