Bernina 180

See your questions answered, and others can learn those answers too.
Thompsoc

Bernina 180

Post by Thompsoc » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:22 pm

I have an older Bernina 180. I have the USB serial adapter, personal design card and a computer. Will I be able to use the Embrilliance embroidery software? Do I still need to download the free art link from Bernina? Tired of using the design cards!

Wilder

Re: Bernina 180

Post by Wilder » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:17 am

As long as your machine has USB capability, the Embrilliance software would be perfect for you. You should only need the link from Bernina if you need that to use your USB serial adapter. :)

Thompsoc

Post by Thompsoc » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:17 pm

My sewing machine has a 9 pin then the USB adapter then connects to the laptop. My concern is if Embrilliance would "write" to my personal design card which is how the designs are loaded into the machine. My sewing machine doesn't have a USB port (just the computer). Hope this makes sense.

hsbdobergirl

Post by hsbdobergirl » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:18 pm

I have a Bernina 180. Short of dragging it out I recall I connected my computer directly to the Bernina.. I don't recall using cards to get that accomplished. I doubt anything will write to that card unless you set up a dos environment in a virtual machine and run the software there.. Did you have to use art link to get it over to your Bernina? That is to your computer directly I just don't remember. Embrilliance will create whatever file you want on your computer then you have to figure it out how to get it to your Bernina. Do you still have your computer your old one that you used originally? If not a newer one like win 7 or 10 probably won't run art link. Art link is probably a win 3.1 or win 95 program. Which means that would have to be executed in a virtual machine running win 3.1 or 95 on your computer. You will have to see what operating systems art link supports. I think this is right. I went through a similar exercise getting design files off a 3.1 executable so I could use them In my current environment.

myturntosew

Post by myturntosew » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:17 am

I also have a Bernina 180. After much research, I purchased a ComPort to USB cable from Best Buy. Make sure the cable is compatible with Windows 10 if that is what you are running on your computer. I downloaded the free Bernina artlink software. I design in Embrillance, saving a DST file. I open the file in Artlink with my machine connected and use the "write to machine" feature to send it to my Bernina machine. There is a YouTube Video that got me started. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNl4D360b7s&t=173s (If this link doesn't work, the video is titled "Bernina 165 170 180 & 185 Embroidery with newer software an") I didn't purchase the cable he shows, but the video did walk me through how to send files to the sewing machine.