isolating parts of a design

See your questions answered, and others can learn those answers too.
Kat

isolating parts of a design

Post by Kat » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:53 pm

I think it would be so helpful to be able to split out the parts of my design that I don't want. I don't see a place to isolate an object and then manipulate it. This seems to be an essential part of editing a design and would be so nice in Essentials. For instance I have a vine with flowers interspersed. I'd like to be able to take a flower or two from the design and arrange them to form a border, etc. I don't think I can do that with Essentials yet. Kat

Admin
Site Admin

Re: isolating parts of a design

Post by Admin » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:39 pm

Use the Object tree. Double click on a design to expand it. Then you can click on any one color or multiples. You now have just that one selected. You can delete, move, etc. You can also ungroup the design and play with the colors as individual layers. Have fun.

Embroidery software and designs for Mac and Windows.
"Embroidery for the Rest Of Us!"

Kat

Post by Kat » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:35 pm

I assume the object tree is the screen with my design. i click once to select a part of it. The black squares appear to manipulate it ...and...
the color page appears on the right. I click the color and then delete or command delete (apple here) and nothing happens.

Alternately, I choose the part of the design(if I have merged several) from the rectangle above zoom slider. This also brings up a color box above on the right side. I click on the color. I can't delete here either. Guess I am asking how to delete. It isn't an option in the edit on the tool bar either. Sorry I am so dense, but perhaps others can benefit from my question.

Also, the selected size of an object or the size of the whole object at the bottom bar is supposed to be changed between metric and inches by double clicking. I click the red bar containing the size and nothing changes. Thanks, Kat

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:07 pm

The Object view is not the main view. It is in the middle on the right side of the screen and it says "Objects". What you refer to as the rectangle above the zoom slider. Each design you have merged can be expanded there. Double click one. They open up and you can see each color layer. Even grouped, single layers can be selected in the Object Tree. Once selected, hit 'Delete' on the keyboard.

Alternately you can ungroup the design. This lets you do anything you want to any color. But they won't move together any more unless they're selected together.

These simple things are very useful. And you're right, we need to add a whole section on the Objects to the Help system. Objects for regular design files are a little advanced. However Essentials also handles lettering designs and self-modifying designs. Those are not merely stitches. They have all kinds of control and information in them. So it is really useful to have the object tree.

Also the digitizer will use it extensively. Can't live without it. And the program will remain the same - as you add features, everything you know how to use stays put. This will be true for Extra as well. (Can't disclose those features yet.)

We'll have to check on the double-click in the status bar on the Mac version. Last time we looked, it was working. You can also use the mm/inch radio button on the left under the toolbar.

Kat

Post by Kat » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:39 pm

Thanks so much for your reply. My screen does Not say objects at all. In that object bar or tree is a small triangle which works separately from clicking the design name. When I clicked the triangle it did show the color layers and I can delete. Yea!

Undo doesn't seem to work sometimes....user error?

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Undoing

Post by Admin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:24 pm

Hi, Kat,
We've set it up so that small things like selections will get their own action to 'Undo'.
So here are two tips:
1.)Use the undo/redo buttons on the toolbar. Hotkeys don't always go to the window you want - they go to the window last clicked on. We've trapped most of those, and are looking for more, but it's just a time/expense and we've been busy taking in suggestions that are higher priority.
2.) You may just need to click Undo again.

If there's some action that we aren't adding to the undo stack, please tell us how to reproduce it, if you can, or at least tell us what you did (like, "I chaged a color")
Thanks!

Kat

Post by Kat » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:33 pm

I'd like to be able to draw a line around a part of a design which I want to separate out. Splitting by color only seems a little restrictive. Please, please would you add that to essentials. kat

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:43 pm

Kat, A full stitch editor is what you describe. It didn't fit the 'Essential for every embroiderer' criterion although we considered it seriously. Because it is an advanced topic which can get someone into a lot of trouble, design-wise, it is something we're still considering how to release.

Yes we realize the need for it.

However there is another way for you to edit parts of a design that you may not know about; Use the simulator to get to a particular stitch and click the 'Stop' button, which inserts a color stop. This separates the color you are on into two pieces and thus you can change colors or remove either part. We have done this in ColorWorks for 10 years, and it is easily the most-used editing mechanism. This method has the added benefit of not creating potentially hundreds of jump stitches the way a graphical selection of stitches can (in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use it.)

Jackie Parr

Post by Jackie Parr » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:14 pm

tried over the weekend to do this. When I click on stop, I am not getting a break in the color unless I change the color. I have Colorworks included in my Studio Plus for the PC. I love it. I can view a design from the browse page larger to check on the design, especially if I have resized it or just need to view it larger. I use it a lot to delete part of a design. Also having problems with changing the order of sewing out a name. I can't get a letter to go to first or last. Can Colorworks be added to this.

sn315on

Post by sn315on » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:05 pm

Admin wrote:Kat, A full stitch editor is what you describe. It didn't fit the 'Essential for every embroiderer' criterion although we considered it seriously. Because it is an advanced topic which can get someone into a lot of trouble, design-wise, it is something we're still considering how to release.

Yes we realize the need for it.

However there is another way for you to edit parts of a design that you may not know about; Use the simulator to get to a particular stitch and click the 'Stop' button, which inserts a color stop. This separates the color you are on into two pieces and thus you can change colors or remove either part. We have done this in ColorWorks for 10 years, and it is easily the most-used editing mechanism. This method has the added benefit of not creating potentially hundreds of jump stitches the way a graphical selection of stitches can (in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use it.)
Thank you for this! I was looking for a solution for ungrouping a design. It wouldn't ungroup, so, I added a color stop and it worked perfectly! Thanks! :)
Sara