Saving Letters as Applique Cut File

See your questions answered, and others can learn those answers too.
MollyRips

Saving Letters as Applique Cut File

Post by MollyRips » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:40 pm

I'm using the new function in Essentials to create a cutting file for my applique letters. (My fingers are DONE cutting inside the hoop!) When Essentials creates the cut file it is dropping the center cuts to inside of letters such as "R" and "P" and I only get the outside. I have tried multiple things and I am stumped. Any suggestions?

EastWitch2

Re: Saving Letters as Applique Cut File

Post by EastWitch2 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi Molly!

Are you using a cutting machine to create the cutting File?
How many steps are in the applique letters you are doing?

I just downloaded a free applique letter O
It has 4 steps in the applique
Step one - is the stitching of the outline of the letter for positioning the fabric over.
It should outline the borders of the outside and the inside of the letter.

Step 2 - is the an outline stitch to tack down the fabric. It outlines the outside of the letter O and the inside border of the O
At this point you would normally stop and cut the fabric on the outside of the letter and in the inside of the letter.

**If you cut the fabric using a cutting machine then you would just place the cut fabric within the stitched outline that stitched first and then stitch this tack down second step.

Step three - is another outline tack down stitch which is a small zig zag stitch.
Step 4 is the final outline of the letter in a satin stitch.

I believe the Video Lisa made shows you would save the first step ( Fabric Position) of the design which is the whole outline of the letter for fabric placement for the cutting file but she doesn't mention if the cutting machines cut out the center area for letters like B ,D,O, P, Q, or R that doesn't require fabric in that area. I would think the machines should cut out that center area so you have no cutting at all to do at the enbroidery machine.

You may want to use the Contact Us Tab at the top of the Forum to get in touch with Lisa to see if she can give you an answer for this.

Great question now to get the answer!
Please let us know what you find out.

EastWitch2

MollyRips

Post by MollyRips » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:15 am

I am using Essentials to create the cutting file then using the cutting file with the Silhouette Cameo. The Circle Monogram Applique font that I am using in Essentials does show the placement stitch, the tack down stitch, and the finishing stitch. The placement stitch doesn't not have the center cut out, so I'm assigning the tackdown stitch as the Applique position and saving as a cutting file for Silhouette Studio. That stitch also has the jump thread which I have to go in and clean up with the eraser in the Studio software. The tack down stitch does have the center cut out, but for some reason when I save it as a cutting file the center disappears! Worst case scenario I just use the placement stitch with no centers cut out for the cutting file and do the cutting for the letter centers "inside the hoop." At least it is LESS cutting inside the hoop! :D

Maybe someone will figure it out! My dream would come true if I could have the Cameo cut out my monogram letters, run a placement stitch with my embroidery machine, then I just lay the letters on the shirt in the hoop and run a finishing stitch! Ta Da! I would be cranking out shirts in less than half the time!

MacStitch

Post by MacStitch » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:48 am

I experimented with a couple of my appliqué letters. One was a circular monogram from Planet Applique. I had to mark the tack down as the placement also as the first stitch just had the outline. I saved the cut file as a .studio and as a .svg. In both cases the center showed the cutout. Perhaps there is an issue with your embroidery file or the OS that you are using. I'm using Embrilliance on a Mac with Mavericks. Just for an experiment, try another embroidery file and see if you get the same results.
Betty

pegobrien61

Post by pegobrien61 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:32 am

Doesn't using the tackdown instead of the placement result in the cut piece being slightly too small? :?

EastWitch2

Post by EastWitch2 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:36 pm

Betty
It would seem that depending on what type of outline the digitizer of the applique designs or applique letters used may determine which position to use for the cut files.

Some digitizers may have included a complete outline, inner and outer outline, while others may only have included an outside outline for the fabric placement position of the design.

Would you agree with this?

EastWitch2

MacStitch

Post by MacStitch » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:50 pm

pegobrien61 wrote:Doesn't using the tackdown instead of the placement result in the cut piece being slightly too small? :?
On my appliqués, the placement and tack down are identical.

MacStitch

Post by MacStitch » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:57 pm

EastWitch2 wrote:Betty
It would seem that depending on what type of outline the digitizer of the applique designs or applique letters used may determine which position to use for the cut files.

Some digitizers may have included a complete outline, inner and outer outline, while others may only have included an outside outline for the fabric placement position of the design.

Would you agree with this?

EastWitch2
There are wide variances among digitizers. As I understand in this situation, though, the outer and inner cuts were showing in the tack down stitch, but disappeared in the translation to a cut file. There's either a confusion in what is showing or a glitch in the software translation. Sometimes, if the ghost mode is set too high, part of another step may be confused with the one you are looking at.
Betty

EastWitch2

Post by EastWitch2 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:45 pm

MacStitch wrote:
pegobrien61 wrote:Doesn't using the tackdown instead of the placement result in the cut piece being slightly too small? :?
On my appliqués, the placement and tack down are identical.
Betty
With a cutting machine the fabric would be cut right on that actual Tack Down line not outside of it right so there isn't any excess fabric?

I think pegobrien61 is worried that the cut piece of fabric would be slightly smaller as usually when you cut the fabric by hand you would cut outside of the tack down line so there would be a slight excess of fabric past the line.

She is probably worried that there isn't enough fabric so the final stitches of the applique may not hold onto the applique fabric or for that matter the tack down stitch may not hold the fabric if that is stitched after the fabric is cut.

And I am sure others may think the same so let's elaborate on this subject just a little bit.

I know that digitizers use different types of stitches for that final stitch, many use a satin stitch and some use a different stitch.

Some times those stitches are not wide enough to cover or catch all the applique fabric after trimming the fabric away and this is one of the main complaints I see posted all the time about appliques.

Betty have you had any time to test stitch an applique design out that you cut the fabric using the Embrilliance software feature and your cutting machine to cut the applique fabric with?

If so could you tell us if you feel there enough fabric for the final stitches, satin stitches or other type of final stitches, to hold and cover the fabric so the applique doesn't fray or fall apart?

Or perhaps if one of our other Forum members has done a test stitchout they could let us know how it turned out.

EastWitch2

MacStitch

Post by MacStitch » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:23 pm

I have not used the cutting machine yet for appliqué. Until this latest update, I considered it too much trouble. I will be trying it in the near future. I know that some people enlarge the design - length and width by 1.5 mm in the cutting software. Others use the offset command and add 1.5 mm path around the outside of the object. Embroidery Library has always taught to cut out their appliqués with the included die line file, which is the exact same size as the tack down. I never liked this method, but it must work for some people. I guess it all depends on personal preference. I know that if I am appliquéing with a vintage or zigzag finish, I'll probably not enlarge it. With a satin stitch, I'll probably try first without enlarging. I will have Heat n Bond Lite already ironed on the appliqué fabric. I'll iron it in place after the placement stitch and skip the tack down and go from there with each piece. I'll report back here after I have tried it. It will be a while though as I am already in a project (not appliqué) that will take a while.
Betty