iPhone / iPad / Andoid

If you would like us to consider a feature or product concept which might be out of the scope for Essentials, please add your thoughts here.
Admin
Site Admin

iPhone / iPad / Andoid

Post by Admin » Sun May 01, 2011 10:40 pm

Hello all you Embrilliant folks;
We have been continuing to push the limits of our portability - and we can now perform the magical feat of offering embroidery on iPhone and iPad. We also think we might be able to get Android going without too much sweat. (Get it, Androids are mostly mechanical so they don't sweat. Oh! What a geek!)

It was interesting to see our stitches render in all the embroidery types on an iPhone for the first time! Go, David!

However, that puts us in a bit of a quandary, and we were hoping you could help us out:
What apps would you want?
See we have two we're working on right now, and no, I'm not going to spoil it.

But what many of you have asked for is just plain difficult today:
The iPad doesn't have a 'Finder' yet (it's there beneath the surface) and it requires a special connector to get it to talk with USB sticks. Worse there is a 'process' you need to go through to get to see the stick as a folder. So if we do something with embroidery designs, will you email them to yourself? Will you Sync them up? We dunno. Without an obvious answer, we haven't quite got the perfect embroidery app for iPad yet. Maybe iPad 3?

Well, actually we do have a couple ideas, and we're working on those.

But do any of you have some gadget like this? What might you like to play with?

The first one who gives us a great idea, that we don't already have in development, gets the app free!

And, yes, we looked at what Pfaff is doing, and wonder why they bothered. In a very real sense, it doesn't do anything.

Cheers!
-Brian and David

Embroidery software and designs for Mac and Windows.
"Embroidery for the Rest Of Us!"

Admin
Site Admin

Re: iPhone / iPad / Andoid

Post by Admin » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:57 am

This is a follow up. It has been 15 months since we asked this question, and not one response out of over 4000 views. As of yesterday, Apple has 70% of the tablet market. Even though Android tablets are less expensive, and some have USB, I guess that doesn't matter.

So I'm bumping this topic to see if we can get your brain cells involved.

Embroidery software and designs for Mac and Windows.
"Embroidery for the Rest Of Us!"

texmax888

Post by texmax888 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:39 am

I just discovered this thread! I love my IPad and your program but honestly don't know how you can get the two together without a USB port. Maybe use some kind of file storage like Dropbox? I would love to know your thoughts!

PatriciaBB

Post by PatriciaBB » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:13 am

whatever you do I agree dropbox for sharing between the mac and ipad would be great. However, I would love to be able to 'browse' my designs for ideas but without having to move my library over to something like dropbox (I have over 25k designs collected & created over the years). Perhaps a database of thumbnails? You know it would be nice to have an app that can reside either on the mac or ipad where you could browse thumbnails of your design and organize them whichever way you want. I know there are tags and smart collections but something that would behave like Aperture/iphoto where I can have folders, projects and albums and designs can be dropped in multiple spots so I can group designs into whatever project I am either working on or designing.

strahan1

Post by strahan1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:13 pm

Should be able to transfer by memory stick. If you have the adapter for the ipad to read the memory sticks. Would love to be able to use my iPad or iPhone for my business.

dhayes

Post by dhayes » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:03 am

I use my android tablet all the time to jot down designs, to do lists etc. I would love a small program that would allow me to see my embroidery designs and to be able to jot down notes about it. Something similar to your thumbnailer with a page on the side of it for notes, color changes, for which projects etc. A bonus would be able to sync this with my computer and when i bring up the design in essentials it would have the design notes on it as well. Just thoughts :D

asimeral

Post by asimeral » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:18 pm

I have an Android phone and tablet, and I totally agree with dhayes above ^.

KLReeves

Post by KLReeves » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:35 am

I agree with Dhayes, too, although I use IPad and IPhone5. I also use both Dropbox and Google drive regularly to share files between my mobile devices and my Mac, so don't miss the fact that the IPad can't directly connect to my machine via the USB. All the computers in the house are on a shared network, anyway, so as soon as I figure out how to connect my Pfaff Creative 4 via the USB to the Mac, it will be connected as well.

FYI, my current work around for the viewing situation was to print stitch catalogs to PDF, and put the catalogs into my iBooks library...could have left them in Google drive, just like being able to grab them off the shelf in the iBooks. ;)

pegobrien61

Post by pegobrien61 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:15 pm

I would prefer to use iCloud for file transfer....

billabongdesigns

Post by billabongdesigns » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:13 pm

I spend a lot of my time caravanning around Oz, I use an android tablet. love to be able to catalogue and show designs on it.
like programs BUZZTOOLS OR YOUR THUMBNAILER WOULD BE PERFECT